Silly Scotch is a beer born at the end of the First World War. At the time, a regiment of British soldiers was stationed near Silly. The soldiers wanted Scotch-type beer. But the Brasserie de Silly, run by Adelin Meynbrughen (3rd generation of the family that runs the Silly brewery today), was not familiar with this type of beer. Moreover, in 1918, raw materials (hops and malts) were scarce. The unit’s commander managed to order hops from Kent, England. And Silly Scotch was brewed with the help of an English soldier, Jack Payne. After the war, the soldier married a Belgian and settled in Silly. He continued to work at the brewery for many years. The original Silly Scotch recipe is still used today, with the same Kent Golding hops. This is a remarkable beer. Its copper-red color is matched by a beige head. Its complex nose is reminiscent of raisin brioche, candied fruit and fresh raspberry. Generous and full-bodied on the palate, almost syrupy, it evokes honey and caramel before finishing with notes of prune and roasted malt. It leaves a refreshing impression on the palate.
In this article, we will explore what makes Scotch beer so special while highlighting an exceptional creation by Brasserie de Silly: the Silly Scotch, which you can discover more about here: Silly Scotch.
The Scottish Heritage: More Than a Tradition, an Art
Scotch beer originates from the misty lands of Scotland, where it was traditionally brewed to be stronger and fuller-bodied to better withstand the rigors of the climate. This style of beer is characterized by a longer and lower-temperature fermentation process, imparting rich and complex flavors.
A Unique Palette of Flavors
Silly Scotch, true to this tradition, offers an unparalleled taste experience. The carefully selected and roasted malts give this beer notes of caramel, biscuit, and dried fruits. The deep color of Silly Scotch, ranging from dark ruby to chocolate brown, promises a tasting rich in sensations.
Silly Scotch: The Expression of Authentic Expertise
Silly Scotch is not just a beer; it’s the fruit of expertise passed down through generations by Brasserie de Silly. Every stage of its production, from the selection of ingredients to fermentation, is carried out with the utmost care, respecting traditional methods while integrating the most modern technological advances.
A Complex and Harmonious Flavor Profile
- Visual: A deep and inviting robe, with ruby reflections in the light.
- Nose: Rich and malty aromas, with notes of caramel, dried fruits, and a slight touch of roastiness.
- Palate: A round and enveloping flavor, where the sweetness of the malt perfectly marries a slight bitterness, leading to a long and satisfying finish.
The Art of Tasting: How to Savor Silly Scotch
Tasting a beer like Silly Scotch is an art in itself. To fully appreciate all its nuances, some tips are in order:
- Serving Temperature: Serve Silly Scotch slightly chilled, around 12-14°C, to reveal the complexity of its aromas.
- Choice of Glass: A tulip glass or a chalice, to concentrate the aromas and support a beautiful head.
- Beer Service: Tilt the glass and pour gently, not to agitate the beer and allow for optimal release of aromas.
- Observation: Admire the color, clarity, and consistency of the foam.
- Olfaction: Take time to smell the beer, to identify the different aromas it emits.
- Tasting: In the mouth, let the beer express all its richness, savor each nuance of flavor.
Why Choose Silly Scotch?
Choosing Silly Scotch means opting for a beer that represents heritage, tradition, and a passion for brewing. It’s about offering yourself a taste experience that transcends the ordinary, where every sip tells a story, that of Brasserie de Silly, proud of its past and looking towards the future, perpetuating exceptional know-how.
Scotch beer is much more than just a drink: it’s a symbol of tradition and brewing excellence. Silly Scotch, with its profound notes and rich heritage, is an invitation to discover the very essence of this tradition. Each sip is a journey through time and space, a tribute to Scotland and its invaluable heritage. Dive into the world of Silly Scotch and let yourself be carried away by the richness of its flavors, a true anthem to the art of Scottish brewing.